J was working in the yard when I pulled up. While it was mild today, the frigid weather at the beginning of the week wrecked havoc on our backyard garden so he was cleaning up the wilted and frost-bitten vegetation that occurred above ground and it became *my* job to recover and harvest anything left underground. Thus I share the last fruits of our (well, mostly J's) labor.
Dirty picture. I love plucking our produce out of the ground. I love that deep, rich soil smell that sticks to the veggies and your hands. It's the fragrance of the just rewards of the seeds we have so diligently sown.
Clean picture. The last of the salvageable goods left in the ground are all squeaky clean and awaiting consumption. The bounty consists of 3 beautiful beets, 4 handsome carrots and one pearly white onion.
The ONLY thing left growning is the basil. We've rescued the entire container from the freezing weather and it will live inside with us for the entire winter adding as much yummy flavor as our hearts desire to our red sauces and other recipes. The vibrant green color is testiment to the fabulous flavor. Yes, it tastes as good as it looks. Nothing like fresh basil.
You guys did a great job on your garden! Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labors. Great pictures.
ReplyDeleteYummy! I'm very impressed! Will we be consuming some of the fruits of your labors when we stay at your new get-away? I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteSarc, thanks! I'm happy you liked the veggies. Our little garden produces too much for just the two of us to eat, so I love to be able to share w/family&friends.
ReplyDeleteTraci, yes, you can consume the fruits of our labor (boy, that sounds *really* bad). Just make sure I'm not the one doing the cooking and you'll be just fine. :)