My mom & sisters recount a story about me when I was nary 18 months old. They've told this story so many times that I swear the tale is my own worn memory. But it's not. The story I remember my family sharing goes like this:
While driving with my mother & sisters in and around Cheyenne, there was always one particular place where my face would light up, I'd point excitedly and exclaim loudly "Elfeetee, Elfeetee, Elfeetee!" My mom & sister not understanding my baby-ese would chide and act as though they knew what I was saying would condescend me by saying "yes, elfeetee, yes baby that's nice." Realizing they did not understand and seeing the opportunity for a positive visual passing us by, I'd urgently repeat "NO!! Elfeetee, elfeetee, elfeetee" pointing all the while surely making my message crystal clear this time around. To my disappointment, they still did not understand. They just repeat that ridiculous, non-sensical sound "elfeetee. Yes, baby, yes." Me again, "NOOOOOO! ELFEETEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!"
Frustrated and exhausted by the unsuccessful attempt to communicate with these ignorant, big people, I'd give up. Until the next time we drove in that part of town. The entire scenario would play over and over like a broken record. The elfeetee, the misunderstanding and frustration ensued yet again and again.
One day came when we drove by the particular area in town, I pointed & half-heartedly recited my obligatory line "elfeetee" not expecting any new breakthroughs in the communication barrier. But then, FINALLY! Oh my goodness could it be true?!? A flicker of understanding lit one of my sister's eyes ablaze! "Elephant?" One of them asked with only half uncertainy. "YES! YES!" I rejoiced, "Elfeetee! Elfeetee! Elfeetee!" Elated as they finally realized that I was talking about the animatronic, pink elephant that stood on the DT's Liquor sign as an appropriate mascot heralding all those who drove down East Lincolnway! The nostalgic pachyderm is operational and running still to this day. I think there was a few years it did not run. But it's running now. Check out the video:
I bought a new shirt recently. Not that I need any new clothes whatsoever but I just *had* to buy this particular shirt! The measly $10 was nothing. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China or this post for that matter, you might ask? Well the T-Shirt is relevant as illustrated in the photo documentation below:
I just wish it read: "I see pink ELFEETEES!"
The End!
Love this post!
ReplyDeleteOh, and for the record, I knew exactly what you were going to say before I got to the DT's Elephant part!! LOL
ReplyDeleteThanks, TamiJ!! I'm happy you enjoyed the story and I wish YOU were there at the time to translate!! It could have been possible, I'm sure we knew your family at the time! Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteI love that story! You totally had a fit when we didn't get it!! As far as the t-shirt goes...I bet you could have someone X out ELEPHANT and "screen" in ELFETEEE!
ReplyDelete